Saturday, March 22, 2008

Art and Performance

A friend is coming to stay the week so it seemed a prudent plan to clean the house this morning. Fortunately for me, this friend is another artist so she will forgive me when I explain that, once again, I was distracted by art.

Firstly, I wanted to write a short essay to enter a contest to win a trip to New York to visit the galleries and museums. To that effect, I began looking up images of Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party- one of my all-time favorite works of art. Along the way, I remembered that I had seen a movie for sale about the piece and I began to look for it to buy it (ack! how could I not have bookmarked it?) I have been here for over three hours now. I cannot find the film, but I was gifted another experience altogether.

While I was searching, The Gates, a documentary about the installation of the same name came on TV, on HBO. I have sat here in rapt attention, choked up and misty -eyes, listening to the process of bringing this work to fruition and to other's experience of the work. It was genius, The Gates and I am so happy, so thrilled that I can see it--and I did not visit it! See this film... It is quite beautiful and moving.

No comments: