Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Making Stuff is a Gift


This is an excerpt from an email/newsletter I sent to my eBay subscribers. I thought it was also worth posting here. If you've come here from that newsletter, please forgive the repetition. The links I promised are at the bottom.

"I've been thinking a lot these days about how lucky I am to be working at something I love. Several years ago, I realized that the actual thing I was making was often second to the process: the discovery, the materials, the transformation, the learning were always the exciting thing for me! This has been a profound insight.

I'm reminded of a movie I saw years ago-I watch many movies while I am in the studio. Oddly, it helps me focus. In this movie, a man quit a financially successful business to become a florist. He said he liked the idea of nurturing those moments when people bought flowers. He got to be a part of births, weddings, dates, romances, as well as their goodbyes to loved ones and he loved this.

This is exactly how I have come to feel about the yarn I am producing. Some of you have shared with me how you plan to use the yarns you buy and I am honored to share that with you."


Since Mother's Day is around the corner, I'll pass this idea along: Beaded, Knitted Jewelry

For more ideas and inspiration:

Knitting Loom info and Projects

Prudence Mapstone's (freeform artist extraordinaire) Website

Kiki's Koolaid Class

No comments: