Friday, August 11, 2006

whoa.

I've just taken some meds for a tooth I had removed yesterday. I must have sprained the foot that has been bothering me, because my Rx doesn't begin to touch that pain. Oh well :) I had yet another conversation with an artist and teacher friend about art and work ethics and how if one has that commitment, this calling, one often must work whether we "feel" like it or not. It's completely the opposite of what so many of our 20 something students who complain that they didn't feel inspired or motivated and so they couldn't make a deadline.

Now more than ever, I am convinced that inspiration is a gift bestowed upon one who works for it.


And sometimes, we unconciously work harder to avoid the responsibility that being inspired carries with it. That said, please feel free to remind me that I said that ;)

I'm trying to take it a bit easier tonight(hard to do too much else when I feel like someone has applied to a hammer to my face!), but my mind is so active I made a to-do list for next week. It helps me to know I am making progress to have a list now and then. By nature and neccessity, I am a multi-tasker, flitting in between projects, doing a bit here and there. But... I had to learn this. There was a time when I thought I couldn't work if I didn't have large blocks of time to apply myself. It was just another way in which, personally, sabotaged the work, sabotaged myself.

One consequence of this manner of working is that I sometimes feel like I am flitting about and getting nothing done--and then "suddenly".. I have everything done! I think this must describe every so-called "overnight success".

And here it is:

Week of 8/12/06 to 8/20/06

-write letter of introduction for artist friend
-Rubber molds and impressions
-Clean up studios
-Cut grass and weeds at home
-apply microbial nutrients to studio yards across the street (and seeds?)
-run beater/make pulps from previously cooked batches
-cut, cook and beat process abaca
-knit armatures, and make constuct paper compositions for next weeks exhibit
-start adding moss and grass inclusions as I build up paper walls
-clay bowl
-read books
-refine outline and email
-start writing
-compost bowls (2-6) and possibly compost "painting"
-sort and list shoes on Freecycle
-sort and list beads on ebay and/or etsy.com

*don't get discouraged, overwhelmed... just keep plugging away... do what I can... don't get discouraged, overwhelmed...just keep plugging away... do what I can... don't get discouraged, overwhelmed... just keep plugging away... do what I can... don't get discouraged, overwhelmed... just keep plugging away....

It will be OK, yes?

No comments: